Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Conspiracy


Dear Veggie Co-op Basket,
It's like Christmas every Saturday when I pick you up and eagerly dig through your contents. This week I was perplexed by one of your offerings. After some research I discovered the brown root was actually a Jerusalem Artichoke. I continued my research for cooking lessons for this oddity and this is what I stumbled across. Apparently in Gerard's Herbal, printed in 1621, the English planter John Goodyer said this about Jerusalem artichokes:
"which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir and cause a filthy loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than men."


I have no other words for you, Basket. What kind of evil plot is this, to stir up and filthy loathsome stinking wind within our bodies? You shall not control this family, Basket. We are on to you. 


Jerusalem artichoke and stinking wind free, 
Lark 

2 comments:

  1. I am proud of your rebellion! Keep it up!
    Kizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That guy must have had one miserable night.

    ReplyDelete